Sunday, January 12, 2014

Health Transformation Challenge: Day 6

Day 6 of the health challenge was another really good exercise in thinking about things that should be obvious, but that we just don't think about.  

All week long I struggled with my new full time health coaching schedule.  It seems strange because the only thing that should have changed was that I no longer worked a job during the day and could devote more time to helping people get healthy...  WRONG!  So many things popped up, and I am sure you can relate.  I was at an unhealthy stress level and I know I need to figure out why and fix it.  But how?  (That is always what holds us back, isn't it?)  

So, today I spent the day at a health coach conference listening to people whom I have always believed had it together.  The founders and visionaries of my field with dreams and aspirations I only hope to push further in my existence.  As they unwound their messy lives and revealed they weren't superheros in disguise, I realized that there are just a few things that separate me from the people whom I admire so much: balance and time.  They have it figured out because they worked hard and tried to figure it out.  

I look back at my former self a few years ago and I would say the same thing about people who looked healthy and happy.  I worked hard and tried to figure it out, and I was able to create health myself.  Whoa -- me, little old me.  Quite frankly, if you told me back then that I would be where I am now - a full time health coach at a healthy weight who goes to CrossFit five days a week whose kids don't see the walls of daycare and who is able to go on vacations and has the time freedom to have hobbies, I would have laughed in your face and told you it wasn't in me.  But I did all that and more!!  Now, my vision, dreams and goals have expanded to things I don't see possible right now.  

So, for the transformation exercise, I identified my current reality, my future reality (dreams!) and the actions steps I am going to take to create my future reality.  Mine goes like this:

Current reality:  My schedule runs me and that turns to unhealthy stress.  I am overbooked and feel like I have no time.  My family time is suffering and sometimes I am irritable because I can't get it all done.  I thought I would have more time than I do and I haven't been able to accomplish what I told myself I needed to accomplish to reach my goals.  I feel like my goals are so far away sometimes because I can't get done the action steps I know I need to get done.

Future reality:  I scheduled plenty of empty space in my calendar and I can spend some time at my kids' school volunteering.  I am able to take a break and rejuvenate myself because I know that is important.  I make time to make crafts because I have fun doing that.  I feel like I accomplished things at the end of the day.  I feel like I made a difference.  I am cheerful and spend more time with my family.  I am able to get things done as planned.

Action steps
1.  Don't overplan my day and identify the amount of time it actually takes to complete something instead of underestimating (by 01/24/14); 
2.  I allow myself breaks and/or schedule them so I don't forget I am important too (by 01/24/14);
3.  Prepare a weekly schedule that will work instead of making me feel like I am listing all the things I can't do (by 01/31/14);
4.  Relax during my designated break times and try to take a break at 2:00 pm before I have to pick up the kids from school (by 01/31/14).

You can write down your current reality, future reality and action steps.  My best advice is to be honest.  If you are uncomfortable sharing these thoughts, don't share them, but do be honest with yourself.  Don't write them to cover up what you don't want others to see.   Believe me, this was not an easy thing for me to share with you.  Some or all of your current reality may be embarrassing or hard to write down.  Write it anyways.  This is about transformation and that requires stepping out of your comfort zone and being as honest as you can.  If you're having trouble identifying the action steps necessary to reach your future reality, think about what a person does who lives your future reality.  Do you know someone like that?  Reach out and ask how they were able to reach that place that you so desperately desire (why re-create the wheel?).  If a person wants to get better sleep, ask a rested friend about their habits for healthy sleep, or reach out to me as your health coach. 

I hope this leaves you with some food for thought and the desire to identify your future self. 

By the way, there was no CrossFit today since I was at my health coaching conference.

Please reach out if you are ready to make the change and become the person you dream you are becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment