Thursday, January 9, 2014

Health Transformation Challenge: Day 3

Today's challenge was two parts: (1) to inventory your habits of health vs. habits of disease; and (2) identify foods you ate on day 2 that had prominent unhealthy ingredients, including high glycemic ingredients (sugar/ high fructose corn syrup), high fat ingredients, high salt ingredients and/or a chemical ingredient. 



For the first part, I identified many things I was doing well and some things I need to improve.  That was not the case a couple years ago though.  A couple years ago, I was getting very little sleep, rarely eating breakfast, eating out several times per week, drinking lots of diet soda with caffiene and drinking NO water.  No wonder I never had energy!  I used to see those things as choices with minimal effect on my overall health.  After focusing on overall health and balance, I have incorporated some excellent habits (like drinking lots of water, reducing my stress through life balance and putting things aside when they interfere with my sleep).  Afterall, I want to be as healthy as possible and live as long as possible, not to mention be a shining example of health for my kids and clients.  It is so important to re-evaluate periodically though. 

Habits of health don't stick with you unless you practice them correctly.  This is like evaluating your form periodically during exercise.  Exercise is healthy for your body, but doing it incorrectly may be worse than not doing it at all.  So, while I may incorporate many healthy habits in my life that I have learned, this challenge brings me back to the basics and helps me understand what else I can do to improve my health, and potentially what things I need to tweak to correct my form.  I have eliminated the habits of disease from my life (yay!), but I will add and improve my already-incorporated habits of health through this challenge.  Here are some habits of health you might incorporate into your life and habits of disease you might want to elimate or reduce:

Habits of Health (increase these!):
- Eating a substantial breakfast every morning
- Using the stairs when possible
- Parking far away from the store and walking (that's where the empty parking spots are anyways)
- Taking a short power nap (5 minutes) when tired
- Exercising 5-7 days weekly (That word may be scary, so work up to that.  Start with one day each week and the next week, add a second.)
- Choosing a salad with chicken instead of a hamburger (Remember your goals!)
- Getting 7-8 hours of sleep
- Eating fish at least 2-3 times a week
- Eating more fruits and vegetables
- Keeping a health journal (Record your exercise, fuelings, hydration, thoughts, sleep, etc.)
- Drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day (Half your body weight in ounces of water is best)
- Choosing healthy-minded friends (It's easier to choose a healthy habit when you're not the only one making that choice)
- Wearing a pedometer daily and tracking your steps (Can you work up to getting 10,000 steps every day?)
- Monitoring your weight weekly
- Planning ahead for your body’s daily fuel (and allowing the time you need to do so.  If you don't have time, can you cut out an unhealthy habit and replace it with this one?)
- Eating 5-6 small, low-fat meals daily

Habits of Disease (avoid these!):
- Having three meals a day (Best to eat every 2-3 hours)
- Having only coffee or orange juice for breakfast, or no breakfast at all
- Watching TV after 10:00 p.m. nightly
- Taking a nap in the afternoon
- Eating more pasta and rice
- Enjoying eating out at least 4-5 times weekly (We lose control of ingredients when we eat out)
- Getting 4 hours of sleep (Best to get 7-8 hours)
- Finishing your meal with dessert
- Drinking more caffeinated drinks
- Drinking more diet soda than water
- Having a midday candy bar to get you through until dinner
- Wearing clothes with elastic waistbands
- Choosing potato chips for a snack

For the second part of the challenge, I am happy to report that I had one high salt ingredient (a bit of ham in my egg white omlet) and the rest of the food I ate was very healthy!!  Yay! 

And then comes the part about Day 3 of CrossFit (Ugh!).  I was so sore, but probably about the same as Day 2.  I still needed a lot of help, and I didn't understand what most of the exercises were called.  But, I did notice that my muscles are actually getting trained and things that took so much work for me on Day 1 are now feeling more comfortable.  I still need correction, but certainly not as much as Day 1.  (Thank goodness!)  I even added some weight to the bars today and lifted 50 lbs.!!  My form is getting better and I am learning.  I came home not listing excuses about why Day 4 wasn't going to happen, but instead was looking forward to having less instruction and correction.  Also, my many years in elementary school jumping rope during recess paid off.  My form for single-under jump rope is flawless!  Ha, take that!  So, it is definitely getting better.  I am sticking this out!

Are you ready to challenge yourself to be healthy?  Email me at HealthyandFitLife@gmail.com and I can help you get started on the path that fits you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment