Thursday, September 6, 2012

Exercise Accessories

Ever wonder what exercise accessories could make your life easier?  Well, here are a few of the things that I use when I am exercising, with my brand recommendations:

 
Armband: An armband is a little pocket that holds your phone or iPod while you exercise.  Some armbands, like this one, have clear plastic fronts to allow you to operate your phone without removing it from the armband, which I recommend.  There are lots of armbands out there.  It took me a long time to find an armband that would fit my oversized Droid X. I found this one, from Tune Belt, that works pretty well.  It's a tight fit, but at about $15, you can't beat it.
 
Bluetooth Headphones: These were a Christmas present from my awesome husband and they are AWESOME!  I no longer have to thread headphone wires through my shirt and other gear, nor do the wires tug at my ears or disconnect from my phone. I highly recommend them.  There are lots of different kinds of bluetooth headphones, but these are great because they fit snugly (with different size ear pieces) and the wire that connects them is not a hard headpiece like a lot of the headphones have.  The ones in this picture are Jaybird Freedom Stereo Bluetooth Earbuds and they are a worth-while investment at around $90.
 

Wireless charger: This Duracell Powerhouse Charger comes in handy on your long exercise days or when your bluetooth headphones and GPS drain your battery faster than expected.  This charger allows you to charge your phone or iPod battery without powering down your device and switching batteries.  It conveniently comes with adapters to fit every device and will give you enough charge to finish without interrupting your GPS.  This is also great when you are on vacation or on a plane without easy access to an outlet for your USB charger.  This little device will set you back about $25.
 
Hydration Backpack: This backpack is a newly acquired little treat that I L-O-V-E!!  This is the Jetflow Tomahawk Hydration Pack.  The pack is great because it carries all your extra fueling, battery packs, keys, money, and two 1-liter water bottles.  The great thing about this pack is that it uses water bottles (recyclable or reusable) instead of bladders, and comes with all the adapters and tubing you need.  Everything is top-tray dishwasher safe and cleaning is as easy as doing dishes.  It doesn't require any chemicals and the bite is hard, so you won't have to replace it frequently.  I did a lot of research about hydration packs and this is definitely less intimidating than Camelbacks for those new to hydration packs because of how user-friendly it is.  The one single critique I have is that the middle front strap is pretty tight on me, and I have a fairly small frame.  I haven't had it long, so I still need to figure out a good adjustment for the strap.  This pack runs about $40-50, about half the cost of similarly sized Camelbacks.
 
Knee braces: I wear knee braces when I run a substantial distance, not because I have knee problems, but because I want to prevent them.  Our bodies really aren't meant for jarring that comes with running long distances, so arming your body with tools like these that keep everything in alignment are great ways to help prevent injuries (in my opinion).  I don't know what the research is out there, but I believe these prevent injury.  I picked these knee stabilizers up at my local Walgreens for about $20 for both.
 
Fuel: There are countless energy gels, beans, tubes, cubes, gummies, bars, granola, you name it!  I find that these taste the best (like real jelly beans) and actually give me energy and electrolytes.  Be sure to watch the carbs on these (at about 25 mg of carbs each), and only use what you need at the right frequency (which will depend on the person).  You should always eat the fuel you need BEFORE you use it.  If you don't know how to properly fuel, please do the research or work with someone that can help you figure it out.
 
If you have any questions, please email me at HealthyandFitLife@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment